Codes of Ethics
Why a Code of Ethics for Reiki Practitioners is important
A Reiki treatment or class should always be focused on helping the client or student to connect with Reiki energy. Even with the best of intentions, many Reiki practitioners can harm clients by doing things they aren't qualified to do such as offering medical, psychological, or spiritual diagnosis.
As a Reiki Master/Teacher in the lineage of Reiki Jin Kei Do and a Registered Reiki Master with the International Association of Reiki Professionals, I adhere to the following codes of ethics that aim to protect and affirm your rights as a client:
Reiki Jin Kei Do Code of Ethics
Reiki Jin Kei Do practitioners will have completed a certified training course instructed by a Reiki Jin Kei Do Master/Teacher.
Reiki Jin Kei Do professional practitioners agree to:
- Provide a safe, soothing and comfortable healing environment for clients during Reiki sessions.
- Treat all clients with utmost respect. Practitioners agree not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or gender.
- Keep confidential any information shared by clients during the session.
- Respect the integrity of the client and carry out Reiki sessions while the client is fully clothed unless Reiki is being integrated into a licensed massage session. Under no circumstances is there to be any form of sexual contact between the client and the practitioner. The practitioner will not touch the breasts or the genitals.
- Provide a standardized consent form for Reiki Jin Kei Do sessions. This form briefly outlines what the client can expect during the session, and gives the client the opportunity to ask for clarification if needed.
- Refer clients to qualified licensed healthcare and/or mental health professionals when appropriate.
- Not to diagnose or prescribe under any circumstances, or to interfere with treatments under the guidance of qualified healthcare professionals.
- Represent Reiki as a spiritual healing modality that can support the body's own healing abilities, and not as a "cure" for physical ailments.
- Clearly delineate any other healing modalities incorporated into the Reiki Jin Kei Do healing session.
- Respect other lineages of Reiki and honor the beliefs and practices of other Reiki practitioners.
- Always practice accepted hygiene procedures during hands-on sessions.
In addition to the above tenets, the Reiki Jin Kei Do Master/Teacher agrees to:
- Keep consistency in the esoteric teachings of Reiki Jin Kei Do.
- Meet regularly with other Reiki Jin Kei Do Master/Teachers to share information, experiences and insights, and to actively delve deeper into the information of healing on both personal and professional levels.
- Encourage student growth by providing ongoing support and opportunity for contact with the initiating Reiki Jin Kei Do Master/Teacher.
- Encourage students to get together with other students to create opportunities for practice and to benefit from the exchange of treatments and information.
IARP (International Association of Reiki Professionals) Code of Ethics
The IARP Code of Ethics is very similar to the Reiki Jin Kei Do Code. Click here to read it.
Animal Reiki Code of Ethics
I believe animals and their people have a right to respectful Reiki care. Click here to read the Animal Reiki Code of Ethics.